dilluns, 8 de desembre del 2008

JOHN LENNON DIED 28 YEARS AGO TODAY

JOHN LENNON DIED 28 YEARS AGO TODAY

Today I was driving and listening to Oasis’s last record, “Dig out your soul”. I liked it, it’s rock, well played, strong, with some Beatles reminiscences: the melody and singing of “ I am out of”, with a few words of John Lennon’s last interview the 6th of December 1980, the drums of the track number 7 which remind me of “Tomorrow never knows”, the beginning of the 9th track that sounds like “Come Together”.

The Beatles were a strange phenomenon, an unlikelyhood of nature with two very special talents and a third one, George Harrison, acting as a glue.

John and George were my heroes. John represented the freedom, the opposition, the criticism, the pain, the missing father and mother, the broken family, the irony, the contradiction,.the honesty, the self acceptance. George , the inner life, the introspection, the intimacy, the sliding notes…

I still listen to many of the their songs, they are still fresh, both the lyrics and the melody, I still find their influence everywhere.. I very good friend of mine has told me many times that I haven’t overcome the 60s and 70s. I desagree as I enjoy Coldplay, Oasis, Luis Salinas, El Canto del Loco all of them different and posterior….. But the Beatles and specially John Lennon had something special. “I am the walrus” seems a song from the future. The same Lennon said that it would sound fresh in 25 years… from 1970… It’s very difficult to make a classic . John and the Beatles did it many times. Most of the music we are hearing nowadays it’s just tin music, nobody will listen to it in 5 years time. It’s a marketing product.

Songs like “Mother” and “Working Class Heroe” are crying monuments to motherhood and social manipulation awareness . “All you need is love” represents the top of the hippie culture.

Great artists like Robbie Williams, Oasis, Lenny Kravitz, even Coldplay have been influenced by the Beatles and specially John Lennon.

I was in London when John was killed. It struck me and still does. John, wherever you are, your spirit is in your music, forever.

Jordi Delcor